Hotel Timișoara is situated in the cultural and historic center of Timisoara overlooking Victoriei Square, in the Cetate district, the cultural, administrative and political center of Timişoara. Its guests benefit from a privileged location, in the very heart of the city.
The fee for the accommodation at Hotel Timișoara is:
- 65 Euro for a single room
- 75 euro for a double room.
To benefit from this fee, please book directly your rooms at firstname.lastname@example.org and mention SOLWorld CEE 2018 in your mail.
Eight centuries ago appeared the Cetate district, that initiated the development of Timişoara.
The Fortress has grown ever since the 12th century. A major boost in its evolution was the building of the castle by the Hungarian king Carol Robert of Anjou between 1307 and 1315. This castle’s “successor” is the Huniade Castle, which today houses the Banat Museum. In 1552, the city of Timişoara was occupied by the Turks. Only in 1716 the Austrian imperial army, led by Prince Eugen of Savoy, managed to free the city.
The old Ottoman fortress was demolished and a new one was build, star-shaped. The “inner city” emerged, with a rigorous streets’ system, very modern for that time. This system is still kept almost entirely, despite the fact the city’s defensive walls were demolished after 1892.
Timişoara’s historical center has a system of three urban squares, unique in Romania, each square presenting different sizes, plastic solutions and architectural styles.
Victoriei Square, the newest of the Cetate district squares, is where on December 20, 1989, Timişoara was proclaimed the first free city in Romania, marking the beginning of victory in the revolution against the communist dictatorship. This ensemble appeared after the demolition of the fortress walls. Between 1910 and 1914, beautiful Secession palaces emerge that give Timişoara’s center its distinct charm. In the middle of the square there is the “Lupa Capitolina” monument (the she-wolf with Romulus and Remus), a gift from the municipality of Rome in 1926.
Libertății Square is undoubtedly the oldest of the Timişoara squares. The square hosts some of the oldest buildings existing in the today’s city: the Garrison Command, the former Chancellery of War, the Old Town Hall (1731 – 1734) and the Military Casino.
Unirii Square is the largest reserve of Baroque architecture in the city. The most important buildings are the two cathedrals, the Roman Catholic and the Orthodox, now Serbian, as well as the Baroque Palace and the Trinity Monument, all belonging to the Baroque style – excepting some parts of the Orthodox Church, which are made in Classicist style. Later on, other buildings were raised belonging to other styles. In its current state, the square was set up between the years 1988 and 1989 by architect Serban Sturdza. Perhaps no other architecture ensemble reflects Timişoara’s open and tolerant spirit as this square. From the beginning, here were placed two cathedrals belonging to the two predominant religions in the city. In France in the first half of the eighteenth century this would not have been possible!